So I’ve been talking about slowing down, taking a short writing break. In addition to trying to recover my own mojo through recovery from my Big H, getting back in shape, bonding with my dawgs, spending time with my husband, enjoying our youngest’s last month at home, and moving into our new home, I’ve been identifying writing-related activities that can help me grow at the same time as they help me pursue my goals of helping others achieve great writing and smart authropreneurship. And to do them from a new location, since H-town is soon to be in my rearview mirror. I’ve been critiquing, coaching, and mentoring (and receiving the same from other writers) within the city limits of the fourth largest municipality in the U S of A for years now.
Now I’ll be in a town of 500 people. Heck, probably less; the city limit sign’s kinda old.
How do I give and receive professionally in ways that make me a better writer and keep me in Writing when I’m between my own writing projects?
Drum roll . . . .
Announcing my three-times yearly writers retreats in the heart of Nowheresville, Texas! I’m also making my manuscript critique service “for real” and added a page to this website about it. So, spread the word to your writer friends, and send them my way, y’all, because Retreat #1 is official!
Summer “Beat the Heat Writing Retreat”, August 7-9, 2015
It’s too dang hot to do anything else but lock yourself inside and write in Texas in August, so join award-winning, best-selling author Pamela Fagan Hutchins (in air conditioned comfort!) in the Texas Hill Country—only 1.5 hours from Houston and Austin—for a two-day weekend writer’s retreat.
About Pamela: Named one of Houston’s Top 10 Writers by The Houston Press, highly sought after speaker, a USA Best Book Award winner in both Cross Genre Fiction and in Nonfiction, Pamela has led critique circles, taught writing workshops, and provided manuscript critiques for years. Now that she has moved to the perfect idyllic country setting, she is synthesizing these three activities as she furthers her passion for great writing and smart authorpreneurship.
Group size limited to the first eight writers to register.
- A critique of the first 50 pages of your novel by Pamela
- Mini-workshops on giving and receiving feedback, finishing your novel, deep novel revision, and more
- Dedicated writing/revision time
- Critique feedback from participants
- Close-out feedback from Pamela on the revised first 10 pages of your novel
- Relax in the giant “cool” spa or brave the heat to see the pond, goats, and cows on the walking trail (enjoy the wildflowers at the 2016 Spring Writers Retreat)
Starts Friday August 7, Noon. Ends Sunday August 9, 3:00 PM.
Address to be provided upon registration. For purposes of deciding whether to attend, map to Brenham, Texas. The closest airports are College Station, TX-Easterwood Airport and Austin, TX-Bergstrom Airport. Note: WE HAVE INSIDE DOGS. ALLERGY SUFFERERS COME PREPARED OR OPT OUT.
Meals and non-alcoholic drinks included. Breakfast and lunch will be buffet, dinner will be family style. In a small group, dietary accommodations can increase costs; we will be happy to accommodate you for an additional $25 for the weekend. Please specify your restrictions when you register. Writer-guests may bring alcohol if they wish. No smoking is permitted inside the house or Bookmobile.
Rules and Restrictions
Professional behavior is required at all times. Writer-guests will be responsible for damages.
A variety of accommodation options are available. Each option (see below) includes the retreat and meals. Email pamela at pamelahutchins dot com by July 15th with your registration preference and the first 50 pages of your novel. Pamela will send you a Paypal invoice if you are one of the first eight people. If you aren’t, you’ll hear back from her, and you’ll get first shot at the “Winter Wonder Writers Retreat”. >>NOTE $100 discount per person for Houston Writers Guild members
- Offsite Writer-Guest: $350 (or $250 for HWG members). See below for nearest B&Bs. There are also a ton of motels in Brenham, a half-hour away. Google is your friend.
- Onsite Single Room, Dedicated Bath: Queen-sized bed, dedicated bath. Note: this room is upstairs with no disabled access. $800 ($700 for HWG members).
- Onsite Shared Single Room, Dedicated Bath. Queen-sized bed shared with a bunk buddy (provide name of bunk buddy at time of registration), dedicated bath. Note: this room is upstairs with no disabled access. $650 each ($550 each for HWG members)
- Onsite Single Room, Shared Bath: Queen-sized bed, two rooms share one bath. $750 ($650 for HWG members).
- Onsite Shared Single Room, Shared Bath. Queen-sized bed with a bunk buddy (provide name of bunk buddy at time of registration), shared bath. $600 each ($500 each for HWG members).
- Onsite Solo Accommodation in Pamela’s 24-foot Class C Motorhome, the book-touring “Bookmobile,” with its own AC, shower/restroom (with a door!), and full power. $550 ($450 for HWG members).
- Onsite Shared RV, separate sleeping accommodations with a buddy or two (provide name of buddy(ies) at time of registration). Double: $450 each ($350 each for HWG members). Triple or more: $400 each ($300 each for HWG members). Note: you’ll still want to be close friends to share the RV, even if you’re not sharing a bunk. However, if you’re super close buddies with no claustrophobia, this RV maxes out at six between three separate beds but no separate “rooms”; no discount will be given beyond the triple rate.
Closest Area B&Bs
Pecan Grove Inn, Carmine: http://www.pecangroveinn.com (19 minutes)
Sugar Hill Retreat B&B, Carmine: Phone:(979) 278-3039 (19 minutes)
Inn at Indian Creek, Burton: http://www.innatindiancreek.com (22 minutes)
Stonebrook Farm, Burton: http://www.stonebrookfarmbb.com (26 minutes)
Round Top Inn, Round Top: http://www.roundtopinn.com (27 minutes)
Ant Street Inn, Brenham: http://www.antstreetinn.com (1/2 hour)
Far View B&B, Brenham: http://farviewbedandbreakfast.com (1/2 hour)
pamela at pamelahutchins dot com
That’s all I’ve got,