As of 3:00 pm this Friday June 27, it’s on. Eric leaves work, we jump in the Bookmobile, and we tour the Northwestern states we missed in the 60-cites-in-60-days book tour last summer. Woot!
Only this time we’re going to take it (a little) slower and have (a lot) more fun. Except that Petey my one-eyed little darlin’ of a Boston Terrier can’t come because the darn state and national parks won’t let him hike with us.
Here were the ground rules we set for the summer:
1. No chain bookstores! Too much pressure! Not enough payoff.
2. No multi-event days!
3. Aim for one event every other day on average.
4. Stay in or near state or national parks. (We’re going to the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Big Bear, Crater Lake, Mt. Hood, Mt. Ranier, Couer d’Alene, Big Horn, Mt. Rushmore, and Otter Tail Lake. Yay!) Hiking! Mountain biking! Yay!
5. At least one library per week.
6. At least one book club per week.
7. HOLD EVENTS WHERE THE READERS ARE: RV Parks. No, that wasn’t a typo. No, I haven’t lost my mind. Last summer we discovered readers in droves at the RV parks, and they couldn’t make it into a Barnes & Noble for an event. But they were dying to chat books. The RV Parks are holding Wine & Cheese events, BBQ cookouts, root beer socials, and all kinds of cool stuff for us. And what’s a redneck writer book tour, without book signings in RV parks?
I am so over any need to prove I deserve to be amongst the cool kids. I don’t need Old Publishing’s approval. Phew, it feels better just saying that.
Take me to your readers, people. That’s where I want to be.
So here’s the schedule. You can get the full details on my Facebook Events Page, too.
- June 28, RV Book Clubbin’: S’Mores and a Book Chat with Pamela Fagan Hutchins, 8-10 pm, Spaces 248/249, Grand Canyon Camper Village
- July 1, RV Book Clubbin’: Root Beer Social and A Book Chat with Pamela Fagan Hutchins, Zion River Resort, 6:30-8:30, Social Hall, Virgin, UT
- July 2, “Deliberate Creativity,” and A Book Chat with Author Pamela Fagan Hutchins, Washington County Library, Hurricane, UT, 4-6 pm
- July 3, “Dine and Chat with Author Pamela Fagan Hutchins,” Santa Ana Elks Lodge, 6 dinner, 7/730 Book Chat, Santa Ana, CA
- July 5, A Book Chat with Author Pamela Fagan Hutchins, Sundance Bookstore, 2-4 pm, Reno, NV
- July 6, RV Book Clubbin’: Wine, Cheese, and a Book Chat with Pamela Fagan Hutchins, Sunday evening, see office for details, Crater Lake Resort
- July 7, A Book Chat with Author Pamela Fagan Hutchins, Location & Time TBA, Sisters, OR
- July 9, RV Book Clubbin’: Wine, Cheese, and A Book Chat with Pamela Fagan Hutchins, 11 am – 1 pm, Upstairs at the Dragonfly Cafe, Mount Hood Village
- July 10, RV Book Clubbin’: A Book Chat with Pamela Fagan Hutchins, Time TBA, Gateway Inn, Mt. Ranier (Ashford), WA
- July 11, RV Book Clubbin’: Dinner and a Book Chat with Pamela Fagan Hutchins, 5-7 pm, Bellingham RV Park
- July 13, RV Book Clubbin’: A Book Chat with Pamela Fagan Hutchins, 7-9 pm, Blackwell Island RV Park
- July 15, A Book Chat with Author Pamela Fagan Hutchins, 2-4 pm, Johnson County Library, Buffalo, WY
- July 17, RV Book Clubbin’: A Book Chat with Pamela Fagan Hutchins, 5-7 pm, see office for details, Rushmore Shadows Resort, Rapid City, SD
- July 19, A Book Chat with Author Pamela Fagan Hutchins, Time TBA, Fergus Falls Public Library, Fergus Falls, MN
Finally, I will do a few as-yet-to-be-scheduled events in the Dallas area when Eric is there to work the week of the 21st of July. Home again before August 1st.
That’s all I’ve got.