Pamela Fagan Hutchins

Holding Nothing Back

Young Woman Stretching Against a Railing

Before you put it out there…

Anyone can publish what they write, but if you are serious about trying to sell it, you should invest in it in several ways, before you do.

Why? Because publishing is forever. A print book sold is permanent. Sure, you can recall an ebook and substitute an updated version, but how many people take the time to replace their old one? Most people never re-open your book once they decide they are done, whether that is at the words “the end” or when they get fed up with errors or poor writing. Only a few people re-check and re-read, and they only do it for those rarest of authors, the ones whose books they love so much or find so useful that they reach for it over and over again.

You won’t be that author if your book sucks.

Don’t be the go-to when your reader runs out of toilet paper. Don’t be the ebook deleted from a library because it annoys the reader to look at its childish cover art another time. Do these things up front, instead:

To read the rest of “Before you put it out there,” go to SkipJack Publishng.

Ciao friends,

p.s. Be first to hear about new book releases, 1-2 times a year (don't worry, I won't use your email for anything else)! <-- click here

Do you want to get these blog posts in your inbox?
If so, enter your email address here:

Delivered by FeedBurner

PrintFriendlyShare
  • Loving the Bike says:

I’m looking forward to working with you guys on getting some of my stuff published. So excited that you guys are now involved in all of this.

Loving the Bike recently posted..#bikeschool happenings

May 22, 2012 at 10:03 am

We are working our tushies off, but it’s fun and exciting! We look forward to “the day” too, Darryl, and let us know what we can do to help you. You know you can always turn to us.

May 22, 2012 at 10:08 am
  • Wild Child Mama says:

Fabulous info!! I am drinking in your suggestions. I am currently having two people who love me read my manuscript with a terribly muddy ending. I couldn’t imagine passing it along to my girlfriends yet!!! A few more reads and several more edits before that!!
    I am living this. Thanks, Pam!!
    Wild Child Mama recently posted..A Church for Strippers?!

May 23, 2012 at 7:30 pm
  • Julie (@MomCycFan) says:

Great advice. Looking forward to all the great things happening for you guys.
    Julie (@MomCycFan) recently posted..My Crazy Autobiographical Memory

May 23, 2012 at 8:42 pm
  • Eric says:

The danger of all of the wonderful positive opportunities created by the e-world for authors, is the ability to get the instant gratification of putting your work out there in all it glory with relative ease. I think it can tend to make people lazy or take short cuts. Writing GOOD stuff, that is really clean and well edited, did not all of a sudden get easier. It is still really really hard, and unless people put the effort in, even if they are good creative writers, they are going to turn people off with a sloppy first impression, and those buyers/readers that are not relatives will never come back again.

May 24, 2012 at 9:03 am
  • nan @ lbddiaries says:

Excellent advice! I’ve downloaded many a “free” ebook on Amazon only to quit reading part way through because of sloppy editing – so many typo’s my eyes cringe. I don’t care how good the story was, blech. And I won’t jot the author’s name down to check other books out, either. Thank you guys for sharing vital info
    nan @ lbddiaries recently posted..Sweetest Passion Redux

May 26, 2012 at 8:38 am

I know. I downloaded one that I paid $4.29 for recently, and I actually counted typos. It was just on the edge of too much. A few more and I would have bagged it.

May 26, 2012 at 9:54 am
  • Anniesel says:

You hit it spot on! The ease of publishing ebooks today is the reason why many people tend to just release books that are sub par in grammar. And I am really on of the worst grammar nazis out there.. if i see an error in your grammar I am putting down your book!
    Anniesel recently posted..find beach umbrellas

June 27, 2012 at 10:24 am

I have found that even in traditionally published and edited books, I can find 1-3 grammar errors. If I find any more than that, I’m done. Period.

June 27, 2012 at 1:02 pm
  • Terri Sonoda says:

Hi Pamela. I was unable to reach the article on SkipJack. I got a 404 error using the link in your post above. Not sure if it’s me or what. Anywho, love all your posts on SkipJack. Always find them informative and useful!

March 11, 2013 at 10:31 am