Pamela Fagan Hutchins

Holding Nothing Back

Pamela Fagan Hutchins - Holding Nothing Back

Empathic much?

I’m a little freaked out.

I’ve written on this blog before about the sixth sense type connection I have with my husband Eric, and that my daughter Susanne has to animals and objects. I’m a believer in things my eyes can’t see, like the jumbie at our house in the Caribbean, Annaly.

One night recently while Eric was on a business trip and I was home with the three dogs, one cat, and two teenagers, our 125-pound yellow labrador retriever, Cowboy, woke me up at 3:00 a.m. barking like he was scared of and trying to scare off  something. This is very unusual. Cowboy sleeps like the dead. He’s only woken up to bark two other times in my memory, and both times we thought he had frightened an intruder away. Once was on St. Croix, once was in Houston.

On a normal night, if we hear a funny noise, my job is to keep the bed warm while Eric slays the demons. On this night, Eric was 200 miles away. On a normal night, he’ll tell me to lock the door behind him and keep my cell phone in my hand. On this night, he wasn’t around to coach me.

Cowboy’s bark jerked me fully awake. I did not hesitate, waver, whimper, or even think. I jumped out of bed and ran to the other side of house, sans cell phone or weapon of any kind, toward the sound of my dog’s voice. He was pacing up and down an interior hallway between our side door, back door, and converted garage (which also had entrances to the driveway and backyard).

I heard loud footsteps upstairs. It took me several tries, but Clark finally answered me. “It’s me, Mom, I don’t know what woke me up.”

“Cowboy’s barking. It’s OK, go back to sleep,” I said.

My heart fluttered at the speed of hummingbird wings. What to do? I checked the locks on all the doors.  I turned on the lights to the backyard and to the driveway. Cowboy wagged his tail and stopped barking. I stroked his giant head. “Good dog, Cowboy.”

I returned to bed. The clock read 3:05 a.m.

Two hundred miles to the east in a Holiday Inn Express in Louisiana, Eric returned to bed, too. At exactly 3:00 a.m., he had jumped out of bed wide awake to confront what he felt sure was an actual intruding presence in his room. He had yelled “Yah” at the dark, then, a few eerie minutes later he had checked his lock.

Before I fell asleep, I texted him about what happened. Before he fell asleep, he texted me about what happened. We received each other’s texts at 3:06 a.m.

Eric thinks that what he felt in his room came from his connection to me. I think it’s possible. What do you guys think?

p.s. Be first to hear about new book releases, 1-2 times a year (don't worry, I won't use your email for anything else)! <-- click here

Do you want to get these blog posts in your inbox?
If so, enter your email address here:

Delivered by FeedBurner

PrintFriendlyShare
  • Nanny Anna says:

Very eery but it does not surprise me at all. I too believe that we are connected on a deeper level. I’ve had similar experiences. They are scary on one level, but quite comforting on another. Hugs to you both :-)

Anna

March 26, 2012 at 12:02 am

I agree. Eerie but comforting. I know that he is always with me, that’s for sure!

March 26, 2012 at 11:22 am
  • JennyBean says:

You just gave me goosebumps, Pamelot!

xoxo
    JennyBean recently posted..On a day three years ago…

March 26, 2012 at 1:06 am

I couldn’t go back to sleep afterwards. It really freaked me out. I had just chalked up Cowboy’s barking as nothing, but when Eric told me what happened with him, I felt pretty sure that I was wrong.

March 26, 2012 at 11:22 am
  • Vidya Sury says:

Yo, I fully believe you. This has happened to me. :-) and Wow!
    Vidya Sury recently posted..Sunday In My City – Tree Cheers

March 26, 2012 at 1:31 am

It’s pretty spooky when it happens, isn’t it!

March 26, 2012 at 11:23 am
  • nan @ lbddiaries says:

My son is 29, married and living in his own house. Grown up. Out of my house. Don’t need his mama. The other early morning (2-3 am) I was jerked out of a deep sleep, heart pounding, stomach clenching, adrenaline rushing. I knew it was about my son so I started praying for him until I feel back asleep. I didn’t think about it after that. A couple of days later at work, spinning aluminum came off a machine, cut his arm, about 2″ wide and down to the bone, 7 stitches. He told me later it could have sliced his forearm off. Do I believe in the supernatural? Do I think I was “praying in advance” for protection? You bet. I believe Eric yell “Yah”, you flipped the lights on and someone heard and saw and ran.
    nan @ lbddiaries recently posted..Scene from Life With Alpha Hubby 2

March 26, 2012 at 2:08 am

That is very cool about your son — not that he was hurt, but that you got the chance to pray in advance and it wasn’t worse.

Yes, that is what I believe too.

Now, the real question to me is — what was there? And that’s when I don’t really know — human? animal? other????

March 26, 2012 at 11:24 am
  • gene @boutdrz says:

“YAH”?
    sorry, but that part cracked me up. which is good, because otherwise i’d still have the heebie-jeebies.
    gene @boutdrz recently posted..3 Things Thursday

March 26, 2012 at 7:43 am

Yeah, the yah kinda cracked me up too. I can tell you from personal experience, that he wakes up ready to fight, and very vocal. Yah :)

March 26, 2012 at 11:21 am
  • Eric says:

There are so many stories that we have like this it goes so far beyond coincidence. I KNOW as certain as I know the sun came up this morning, that there was a threat on that night at 3 am.
    And
    Cowboy ROCKS. :)

March 26, 2012 at 9:42 am

Cowboy does rock. I haven’t said this to you, altho I just did in answer to a dif comment, but what I am freaked about is WHAT was out there, b/c i feel sure something was. But the what wigs me out. Human? Animal? Other???

March 26, 2012 at 11:25 am
  • Ally says:

You two are so interconnected!! That is crazy, but I completely believe there was a threat there. And I just fell a little deeper in love with Cowboy, if that’s even possible.
    Ally recently posted..Making Life Easier – Monday Listicles

March 26, 2012 at 10:01 am

Cowboy is the best. Have youseen the video of Cowboy playing with Petey? It will totally make you love him. He is so patient with Petey and loves him so much.

March 26, 2012 at 11:26 am
  • Eric says:

You know what this also means is that I am connected with a Dog, which concerns me a little :).

March 26, 2012 at 10:35 am

Hmmm, it’s possible. I hadn’t thought of that. :)

March 26, 2012 at 11:26 am
  • Tracy Wilson says:

Many years ago, my husband was about 50 miles away. I was sitting on the couch watching TV in the afternoon, and I was VERY pregnant.
    Something slapped my face. I know, right? I’m really NOT crazy- and I was home all alone. I even had the stinging red cheek to prove it. When my husband got home an hour or so later, he said “Hey- the weirdest thing happened just a little while ago…”

Seriously?
    There’s all sorts of phenomenon we cannot in our meager experience provide an explaination for. Doesnt mean it doesnt exist. I’m glad neither of you were hurt.
    Tracy Wilson recently posted..Him And Her

March 26, 2012 at 11:36 am

oh man, that one gives me the wilies! i totally believe it. thanks for sharing that one!

March 26, 2012 at 11:44 am
  • Deborah says:

What a beautiful story of connection, sensitivities, and the knowing that comes from out inner senses (not our outer). Imagine a world where we honored and even honed these abilities? Can you imagine the quality of life, or relationships we could have. Thanks for sharing. An exciting, inspiring story Pamela.
    Deborah recently posted..Self-Coaching Tip: Change the Questions You Ask Your Self

March 26, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Thanks, Deborah! It would be a beautiful, wonderful thing!
      Pamela recently posted..Tiny Catholic.

March 26, 2012 at 3:05 pm
  • Eric Hutchins via Facebook says:

You finally write one that is a factual recounting of events :) and few will believe you. HAH

March 26, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Bab-Y, everything I write is true. Some of it is more creatively enhanced for readability than say, this one. This one is straight up factual. Kind of boring actually. I think I need to take another pass at it :)

March 26, 2012 at 7:54 pm
  • Julie (@MomCycFan) says:

I think it could very well be true. Sounds like it is true and I believe you!
    Julie (@MomCycFan) recently posted..Happy Birthday Heather

March 26, 2012 at 7:01 pm
  • Julie says:

That incredible! But I think it is really possible, if you are so strong connected to him. Both of you are paranormal:)

March 27, 2012 at 8:02 am
  • Rene says:

Who knows, but gotta admit, it gave me the chills!

March 27, 2012 at 8:50 am
  • Eric says:

From Young Frankenstein, not PARANORMAL ABBYNORMAL :)

March 27, 2012 at 8:54 am
    • nan @ lbddiaries says:

Oh yah – Abbynormal TOTALLY fits you too, to a T.

March 28, 2012 at 12:51 am
  • My Inner Chick says:

—What do I think?

That scared the freaking shit outta me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My Inner Chick recently posted..Dirty Girl Comes Clean

March 28, 2012 at 7:23 pm

LOL, it scared the freakin shyte outta me too :)

March 28, 2012 at 9:07 pm