Lots of you that read {a mom’s view of ADHD} have young children. Not me. I’ve already survived the confusing “early” years and the horrendously hard “middle school” years. My son, dubbed by us long ago “Clark Kent,” is knocking on the door of adulthood. Okay, he thinks he is anyway. He’s 16, and a junior in high school.

I would love to tell you that kids grow out of their ADHD symptoms to the point that life for them — and you — turns into a cakewalk. I can’t. Clark’s father has ADHD, and he still struggles. Clark? Well, Clark is a challenge, but a loveable one. Take this January, for instance.

In January, Clark pledged that he was going to set the academic world on fire. Within two weeks, he was failing five classes for multiple missed homeworks in each class. By the end of the grading period, with death sentence restrictions on screens and girlfriend in place to remove distractions and mandatory 9:30 melatonin and 10:30 bedtime to ensure adequate rest (a chronic issue), he had raised three classes to barely-passing. It pains me to type this, but we called ourselves lucky that he only failed two classes. This from the kid who told us over Christmas that he had renewed his dream of applying to Texas A&M and would concentrate on his grades and upcoming SAT to pursue it. This from a kid with a genius IQ.

Meanwhile, Clark had qualified last fall for the Texas Forensic Association state debate tournament in Cross Examination.

Click to catch the rest of Dream Big or Go Home on {a mom’s view of ADHD}.

Ciao!

15 Responses to Dream Big Or Go Home

1. Symptoms management and school activities for the ADHD teenager.

2. Eric says:

Its a great story and is wonderful to see the successes and exasperating when he cannot seem to make the connections between grade performance and school. While we are seeing some really positive steps with maturity the one thing that sticks in my gut is that this ability (or luck, or combination of both) to pull thing out in the last second, is not teaching him any good lessons, and I fear the one time that he finally fails to pull it out will be a serious one. Not that I think we should do anything differently, just an observation.

3. Laura J says:

Clark Kent is blessed to have a family (and girlfriend) who work so hard to help him overcome his challenges and succeed. Way to go, all of y’all!

4. Julie says:

I mustn’t be very easy to handle all these things. Clark has got a lot of things to do, and the only one who can manage all the things, is you. That’s why a respect you so much.

Thanks.

It’s amazing seeing how different he is from his siblings and us. But, even yesterday we saw tiny improvements in his focus. He’s a really good person.

5. Lyle says:

It is very tough for “Clark Kent” to do those things, lucky for him he has people who are ready to rally behind him.

Yes, it is. So much harder than people like me — wired normally — realize, unless we live with someone who is adhd or autism wired. He is lucky, but so are we, as he is a real blessing.

6. Regaining focus, even for goals that i set for myself, is often tough. I set out with the best of intentions, and then….see something shiny and…well…..what was I talking about?
    You and your family are awesome and very inspiring.
    Love you guys!!!
    -gene-

Thanks, Gene. I can only imagine. Clark has brought this whole neurological difference to life for me. Before Clark, I didn’t believe. After, I am an envangelist!

7. I give Conner Melatonin and it does help. He’s been getting up early and doing his schoolwork while the house is quiet, its been helping.

Can’t wait to read the rest. I love reading anything you write!

Thanks, Julie. Even more than Melatonin, Clark likes Somnapure, which we get at Walgreens. It has melatonin in it, but it also has other herbs. He just likes how he feels the next morning better, yet he falls asleep and sleeps even more soundly with it too.

8. Terri Sonoda says:

Just when I think the Pamela/Eric clan is awesomely awesome, I read more about you. Can you top awesome? I don’t know for sure, but I think you have. So happy that you share pieces of your beautiful family with us! Thank you. You all rock.