In Amarillo where I grew up, you were religiously “diverse” if you were anything but Church of Christ. So, as someone who was on the outside, I thought I had sensitivity for religious diversity, I thought I got it. I was raised Methodist, chose Disciples of Christ, and now go to a Baptist Church. Eric has had a similar Protestant journey.

So let’s just get this out there: Petey is Catholic, y’all. We found out on Ash Wednesday during Lent. Why, you may ask? Because he came home with the remnants of an ash cross on his forehead (Okay y’all, if you don’t know anything about Catholicism and Ash Wednesday, then click here because it’s time for some edification), see below:

Petey on Feb. 22, 2012: Ash Wednesday. He tried to remove it, but the evidence was there.

We really should have picked up on it sooner, with his Boston Terrier (site of huge Irish Catholic migration a century ago) heritage. And it’s going to be okay. It’s not like he is Pentecostal, after all. He’s just a Catholic, and we’re not in Amarillo anymore — we’re in Houston, and there’s a heck of a lot of Catholics here. It’s just that most of them speak English as a second language. Come to think of it, though, English isn’t Petey’s first language either.

It will be fine. Really, it will.

33 Responses to Tiny Catholic.

1. Eric Hutchins via Facebook says:

I was wondering where he went early this morning.

2. Yep. Early Mass. He’s devout. :) Actually, the toner still won’t come off his forehead. I’ve given up.

3. Okay, I’m slow. I’m also not Catholic so I don’t get this? Help me!!

:) Petey has a black ashy mark on his white forehead, as if he went to mass on “Ash Wednesday” which is part of the Catholic Lent season. Thus, for us Protestants, it marks him as Catholic. I remember the first time a co-worker came in with ash on their forehead on Ash Wednesday, I told them they had a dirty spot. That’s when it was explained to me. The ash is put on the forehead by the priest in the shape of the cross. You don’t wash the ash off. Here’s a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_Wednesday (thanks, Wiki).

4. Sandy Webb says:

LOL, I knew someone wouldn’t get it! I was introduced to it my a friend in college…Ash Wednesday and Palm Sunday…she brought a palm leaf into our room! Petey is adorable even with toner on his head :)

We’ll go easy on Nan that she’s the one that didn’t get it.
      I should have photoshopped the toner to look like a cross, but that would mean I know how to use photoshop, which would be a stretch to claim.
      Only 35% of Christians are Protestant. Catholics outnumber Protestant by a pretty fair margin. But not in the US. And especially not in the South. So, Nan is off the hook. :)

5. Julie says:

Pamela, thanks for the explanation of the story, I didn’t get it as well…:)

The fact is that Petey likes being a rock star and he had been yapping to Pamela that he had not been getting enough press LATELY, all these blogs about Tebow and Samantha and the dang editor. Petey was like “what does a dog have to do around this place to get some attention, lose and eye??????”

So Pamela feeling badly about the situation took a shot and talked about his new religious orientation. Well you know how well that goes over in this day an age…..

7. —I knew, I just knew, Petey was “Special.”

Xx

8. Petey says:

It’s about time mom.

9. laura j. says:

I ROARED with laughter when I read this post! I read it out loud to my husband and he laughed pretty hard, too – don’t tell Petey, but the part that had us laughing the hardest was how many Catholics there are in Houston and how English is their second language.

I, too, grew up Protestant … you should have seen the shocked expression on my face when my dad told me, during a conversation on family history, that his grandmother had been raised a German Catholic. I blurted out, “You mean we’re fish eaters?” LOL!

• laura j. says:

Hmmm … thought it would leave the link to my most recent blog post as part of that comment? Not sure how this “comment luv” works. :)

It works the second time (comment luv), once it remembers you, and there you are, it did! You “doned” it!

I think it flowed funnier before I had to explain all the jokes, but the point still gets across. You’re down south of Houston, coastal south Texas, right? I would imagine you have a lot of Spanish speaking Catholics, too. It’s part of the cultural landscape of south Texas, mon!

• laura j. says:

Definitely! I have to share a funny with you regarding my own “Protestant” experiences when I married my Cathipalian Holy Roller (that would be my Catholic christened, Episcopalian raised, non-denominational husband):

Years ago we decided to attend Christmas Eve Mass at Trinity Episcopal in Galveston. A magnificent church built in the mid 1800s’, with two Tiffany windows that survived the 1900 Storm! I remember sitting there in awe of all this pomp and circumstance surrounding the celebration of Jesus’ birth. The most we did when I was growing up was to put on a Nativity with children dressed up like Mary, Joseph, wise men and shepherds. Toward the end of the service, the altar boys, priests, etc. began to exit the sanctuary, carrying these poles with candles and the cross… I’m just gazing at the beauty of it all, when suddenly my husband practically gives me whiplash by whacking me on the back of the head!

What the heck????

In a hoarse whisper he tells me “You’re ALWAYS supposed to bow your head when the cross passes by!”

Well, excuse me for being raised Baptist! LOL!

That’s hilarious! I’m sorry I didn’t see this until today — I was at a conference this weekend. Very funny.

You and that dog never fail to make me laugh!

11. Terri Sonoda says:

My first husband and my current wife are catholic, so if Petey or you have any questions, just let me know. I know nothing about being Catholic, but I sure know a lot about “putting up with them”. The language barrier, however, might be a bit of a problem. How would one convert Peteyish to Latin? And vice versa?
    It’s a quandary. Good luck with that.
    And? Give Petey my love. He’s my virtual pet. I have no dogs, and he fits right into my budget.

Hugs!
    Terri

Thank God I now know a friend who is an expert, because I need to be sensitive and supportive. At least I think that’s what I’m supposed to do. Hell, I don’t know. The way I was raised, i think I’m actually supposed to beat it out of him, then forbid him to drink. Or have sex. Very definitely he can’t have sex, because that could lead to dancing, and dancing is strictly forbidden. :) At least where I come from.

12. Jennifer says:

“Hold me closer, tiny Catholic….”

We are pretty sure Ozzie the pug is not Jewish. He really likes bacon. A lot.

OMG you got it! No one else got it. :) I love you.
      Yes, Hold me closer tiny catholic is exactly what was in my head for some inexplicable reason.
      Glad to hear someone else is struggling with religious diversity in their family haha.

13. Peter says:

Very cute

14. […] Petey was rejecting Protestant Christianity in favor of Catholicism. We discovered this from the traces of ash on his forehead on Ash Wednesday during Catholic […]

15. Emma Green says:

Haha! Love the story and the cute little picture! Petey is darling!