2 and a half dog night. Petey's showing us his good eye as he begins his sprint off his bed. Cowboy and Layla are looking at Eric. They (and the cat JuJu) have a lot of interest in Petey post-incident. Isn't animal intelligence amazing?

Despite the full time job that is nursing a Boston Terrier puppy through a devastating eye injury, the world kept revolving on its axis this week.  I am thankful, though, that my client called to postpone a work project.  God granted me time to keep an ice pack on Petey’s eye during his naps.

In offspring news, Clark qualified for Texas 5a State in Cross X debate as a 2nd year debater, Susanne swam two swim meets (and won the 500 free in one of them) and sang in her first choir concert, Liz celebrated fall break with the season’s first snow and a bear on campus, Thomas visited us (yay!), and our 5th child who doesn’t like to earn mention in my blogs is great too ;-).

In grown-up news, Pamela got a rejection letter from an agent that sent rejection letters out on the same day after a four-and-half-month review to one of her writer-buddies that had full manuscripts with him, too.  Since this happened on the afternoon of the day Petey hurt his eye, it didn’t impact me as much as past rejections have.  Instead, it has fueled my conviction that traditional publishing is on its way out.  I am embracing the new era.

More grown-up news: Eric discovered this week that he has a large-ish hole in his jawbone from an abscess caused post-root canal, when a tooth that should have had 3 roots turned out to have a hidden 4th root.  This root canal was a year ago, leading one to question why he never mentioned the severe pain.  His answer?  He’s very good at compartmentalization and has a high physical and mental pain threshhold.  *sigh* I fear he is not trainable.  Anyway, it was so bad that the specialist stopped the surgery in pre-op, and sent Eric home to do a round of antibiotics to clear the infection.  The good news is how much better Eric feels since he started the antibiotics.  His racing heart beat and constant migraines have stopped.  Hmmm.  The surgery is next week.

Here’s the visual pupdate.

We learned who the best skidloader driver is in the family. Hint: he is pictured, and it isn't Eric.

Suz before a race. She's thinking, "How could I best upset my parents in the next two minutes?" 😉 Her nickname since preschool has been Contrary Mary. She likes to taunt her coach and us with her talent by expending the least effort possible. She has perfected the art, in fact.

Suz is a freestyler/flier. Breastroke makes the best in-water pics, tho. She has beautiful, efficient strokes in all events. She has the height and strength for sprinting, but prefers distance b/c she can excel w/less effort due to her efficiency. That's my girl.

Post race. Note the lack of red cheeks or heaving chest. Suz believes in conserving energy. Despite her relaxed approach, she manages to swim just fast enough that the coach doesn't kill her. But it's close. I just cover my eyes and pray for patience.

I fought the pig and the pig won. Petey, bad/stitched eye up, collapsing in an unplanned nap after battling my stress pig.

College football! U of Houston versus East Carolina. Damn, Case Keenum IS that good. Case for Heisman!

Take care and have a great weekend, everyone.  We will for sure.  We are taking Petey, Layla, Cowboy, and JuJu to the vet all at the same time.  Those four, plus C, S, E, & P in the Suburban.  It should be quite a show.  And result in an addition built onto the clinic named in our honor.  After we recover, Eric and I are planning to cook our famous white trash dinner for friends, because WE KNOW HOW TO PARTY.  Yeah, I know you’re jealous.

p.s. Thanks to my writing buddy and very good friend Heidi Dorey for captioning the Petey-pig photo :)

20 Responses to Pupdate: the world keeps turning.

1. Sandy says:

I really appreciate the Petey updates. The mini ice packs crack me up. So happy to hear he is getting along well. As for Eric…let him know that tooth infections can spread to the brain and it is then life threatening. I knew a guy that died from ignoring a tooth infection. It is not a thing to compartmentalize.

Thanks Sandy! Eric’s dad nearly died from a tooth infection. Granted, he is older and in poor health, but when Eric realized the connection between the pain he had ignored in his mouth/jaw and the rest of his system, I think it scared him. At least a little. Thanks for sharing that.

Petey has been wild and horrible today :) He just peed on my bed. And dropped a load at the back door. Now, he did go “unh” a nanosecond before he peed, so I guess that was my signal. And he went to the backdoor for the “other”. Another signal. So…
      We have been working on come, sit, shake, and stay. He has come, sit, and sort of stay. Shake confuses him. But he does them on verbal and hand signals after 4 days. He loves the fun of working (and the occasional treats).
      We have indulged his inner chow hound in guilt and sympathy over his injury, and today we realized he is rotund. We are slowing down.
      He has hit his eye twice, hard, in the last 24 hours, so we are back to icing as he yelped and the eye swelled a bit.
      But all in all it is going well, and he is a love.

2. adena says:

Finally catching up on my blogs. LOVE Petey! and ALL the pets, and ALL the news. :-)

3. Petey is my new favorite pet. He’s not technically mine, but since I don’t have a pet, I have ‘virtually’ adopted the little rascal. So keep those Petey stories coming. Oh yea, I like hearing about the family, too! hehe

Its been hard to adjust to being the second most loved (non child) thing in Pamelas life. I have been beat out by a 6 pound one eyed skinny legged varmit. hrmph. Yes life does go on, and busier it seems then ever. But its a good busy, we are blessed with good jobs and busy outstanding kids, great parents, a nice house good friends, I could go on and on.
    And my Jaw (cheekbone, tooth, etc) are starting to feel better. Whoo hoo.

Ha, Eric. You will always be my “most loved” non-child. But Petey is special. Cowboy has always been the favorite pet we’ve had, but he was never mine. Petey is yours, except when he hurt his eye and I spent the next week as his nursemaid, it made him more “mine” than any pet has been since I had a horse when I was 12.

I am so glad your jaw is feeling better (and your heart and your head).

5. Ah! For the love of Petey – I am SO glad to have this update. Love Heidi’s contribution, love the pix, and I’m with Theresa – I especially like having a virtual dog when you talk about those dropped loads!

I am thinking we should put him our on loaner :) and let someone else take care of the loads for a while. They are almost compensated by his kisses. He is the most loving dog we’ve ever had. You can’t top Cowboy’s personality and talkativeness, but he is not loving. Petey is a lover. And crazy. Yesterday Cowboy was laying on his back, and Petey was using Cowboy’s muzzle as a vault and I SWEAR THIS IS TRUE doing side flips and landing on the ground (tile) in crazy positions, then getting up and doing it again, barking and having a ball. Cowboy kinda got into it so about the time he was swinging that big yap around and trying to catch Petey in his mouth, I petted him and told him he was awesome and put the kibosh on it. Petey knows no fear. Then he curled up with his head on my arm after licking my face, and went right to sleep. Aren’t these guys the best???

6. JennyBean says:

Poor Petey. Poor Eric. Glad he’s better. And poor Pamela–damn editors anyway.

The offspring news sounds great. Yay, kids!

XOXO

7. Rebecca Nolen says:

Whoa! As my husband is a dentist I can tell you from all the inside info I’ve picked up over the years (and in this case a little knowledge probably is dangerous) that an unchecked abscess can have some pretty serious consequences – I mean – on the brain – MIGRAINES??? Yikes!

His second specialist has now put in a drain, a dif antiobiotic and sent him to an oral surgeon. Ugh. Anyway, we’re now working to take care of it rather than working to pretend it’s not there 😉
      Thanks, Rebecca

8. He looks like a zombie puppy. It hurts me. But it doesn’t bother HIM.

9. […] Eric’s abscess, and the upcoming re-root canal?  Several of you warned me that the infections of the teeth are potentially quite serious. That […]

10. […] Thomas works in “bonds” (not as in James, but as in finance), or, more accurately, DERIVATIVES, although I don’t understand what he does so I can’t pretend I know why derivatives is more accurate than bonds.  And he is studying for his MBA. […]