Here in Texas it is hot and water-less.  Don’t confuse water-less with dry — we’re still plenty humid around Houston.  Which makes it feel even…you guessed it…HOTTER.

This last weekend, Eric and I checked in at Nowheresville.  We had a fab time, if you call triathlon training in 106 degrees fab.  I guess we do :-)

“Let’s sleep in, the wind will cool us.” Pre-ride, 10:15 a.m.

Well, that works OK at 96 but not at 106. Picture taken when car, which had been parked in shade with engine off, was initially started, post-ride.

We stopped after 25 miles because I felt like this.

The heat even wilted my tulips (seen from outside the Quacker’s window).

We started at 6 am for our run the next day, b/c we are quick learners. Here is Eric, eating a pre-run snack and giving the dogs a pep talk.  It was only 82 degrees, & no sun.  It felt like a cold front after the day before!

Layla did great and ran at my left side the whole time except when she was fending other country dogs off me. But she was hot. Hot enough that we discovered our water-phobic boxer in a muddy pond bed, up to her shoulders.

Cowboy didn’t fare so well, even though he’s lost 15 lbs (we’ve had him on a diet). We were out looking for him in the car when we took this picture of a baby longhorn. We found him back at the Quacker, covered in mud, when we had given up and gone home.

Distance athletes & hikers know that you always bring a baggy with tissue with you. I can also recommend you always wear underwear you don’t mind leaving behind. (YIKES) Later, we went out for German food and near-beer.

The super-fertile soil in the dried up bed of our two-acre “pit formerly known as a pond” has yielded the only green spots in the county. Tall, fast-growing weeds.

See the sign? Well, I can assure you no one will be breaking that rule here at the Nail Creek boat ramp on the south side of Lake Somerville today. I think I see water in the distance. Makes us feel better about our pond. Sort of.

Stay cool and hydrated, y’all.  On to week two of our 20-week schedule until November 6 “Oil Man” Half Ironman in Conroe, TX!

31 Responses to Heaven or hell?

1. Wow, it looks hot in those pictures. And dry. We’re having July weather this week….had temps up to 111, which is usually July weather. Next week it’s supposed to cool of to a frosty 105. Awesome. If you are looking for me, I’ll be the one with my head stuck in the freezer.

2. JennyBean says:

My chapeau is off to you, Pamela, for marathoning in this heat, and just so you don’t think I’m a total sloth, I want you to know that I bought a hula hoop and have been hooping in my living room (which has the luxury of AC).

😉

3. Great pictures, Pamela. Now that I’ve been out to nowheresville, I’m able to envision this all much better. Keep on rocking it in the heat….many more days of it to come.

4. lbddiaries says:

It IS awful, isn’t it? I went outside today, turned around and came right back in. I had the thought of eating on the new deck but when I went out the door, the heat sucked the air out of my lungs, so I had to go back into the a/c to breathe. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Actually, it was so hot, I coudln’t even get into the pool until 7 pm. It is bad when you can’t go swimming ’cause it’s too doggoned hot to breathe. Pool felt like bath water. No, I am not complaining. By 9 pm I was freezing – gotta love it. Glad you guys survived – love the dogs looking at Eric while he’s pepping them.

Love the way Eric glows in the early morning…..:-D

106 is just ungodly. I melt when it hits 90. 106 I disintegrate.

He didn’t realize until he saw the picture that he glowed. He is quite enamored of the glowing now too. Unfortunately, you have to get up really early to glow, and he is not quite as enamored of that (nor am I).

• Irene says:

Proves the reflective tape and stuff works!!

we also have reflective vests for winter. just too damn hot to wear them now!! that’s why we run on established trails or on dirt roads in the country. we try to be good sharers of the road. don’t want anyone to hit us, or us to hit anyone!

6. ~~Last week in Mn, Hubby wore
    his winter jacket to Soccer Practice.
    Seriously.

xx

7. The weather was beautiful today, but last week we were chilly! I love the heat, but the humidity…meh. But now I feel kind of lame here I was all patting myself on the back for completing my first 5K in 65 degree drizzle and you are working on a triathalon in 106 degree heat!

Wow – you are my hero!

And this is the reason I TRY to remind myself not to complain about our distinctly NON-summer weather around here. (Wet, cool, non-sunny – but incredibly green)
    Hope you get some relief soon. I don’t know how you train in that heat!

The morning run was awesome, Just as the sun was coming up, and so much cooler than the day before it felt like cheating. The bike….. wow that was tough, but, if you can get through that….

Maybe to you, bub, but I still sweated my clothes to sopping. It was HOT. But worth it, just to go eat German pancakes and apple streudel.

Want to tell the readers anything about what happens when you give your U.P a wild toss into the woods?

Next time, bury them, honey. At least we won’t have trouble finding the spot when you want to play show and tell.

10. Karen says:

Loved this! I especially loved that you take a baggie with tissues. I do the same! It’s so nice to know that I’m not the only one.

I will no longer complain about my NY weather. I don’t think I could take 106 degrees. Good luck!

11. Lori Dyan says:

Omg – I’m sweating just reading this post! I did a triathlon in September in Canada and still wanted to die from the heat. You get extra points for doing them down there (like dog years – one of your tris equals three of everywhere else);-)

It was kinda like a white surrender flag waving in the breeze.

13. Sandy says:

I love the heat! And, yes, I saw your first comment up there about Arizona being Hell! Although, the humidity really gets to me so I would have a tough time in Texas. Our high is 115 today so don’t expect too much sympathy from me. 😉

This morning my physical therapist put cold packs under my back and around my neck. I thought I was going to cry…seriously. He quickly decided they were going to nothing for me if I could not relax….every muscle in my body tensed up. I am that big of a weenie when it comes to the cold. Pitiful!

14. Charlotte says:

Hi Pam, I am amazed by your motivation in running for that kind of summer heat… Honestly, I can afford to make it.. Enjoy!!

15. […] our tranquil Nowheresville weekends (aka “Death Camp“) have changed to become even more idyllic.  [This is a literary example of irony.  In real […]