We are childless and on holiday in New Orleans, checking in via blog.

Today Eric and I treated ourselves to a two-hour dinner at Galatoire’s (upscale dining, conveniently located next to a Hustler’s shop — after dinner, one can pick up a dessert of edible panties, awesome) in New Orleans.  The food?  Scrumptious.  The people watching?  Even better.

A few highlights:

1. Are pink sequin vests “in” this Christmas?  I guess they are if you look like Britney Spears, or what she would have looked like had she stayed in small town Louisiana.  At least her skirt covered her ass — barely — as she teetered around on high heels with a baby on her hip.

2. Hats and horns are not just for new years.  The revelers on the first floor sported snowflake head bands, elf hats, reindeer ears, and crowns in every color.  Wow.

3.  And the best part?  The 60ish couple who sat diagonally from us and during half their meal (we left before them) consumed three bottles of champagne and three martinis, and still didn’t look like they enjoyed sharing their Christmas Eve dinner.

Quell the wrinkled brow, Pamela. What was I stressed about on the Canal Street streetcar?

Yes, we did consider people might find us amusing, too, me in my giant men’s leather jacket borrowed from Eric over my velvet dress, or him in his bug eyed sunglasses. But, nah…

Eric walked New Orleans today in a suit with a backpack.  He looked like a Jehovah’s Witness, and I tried to get him to pass out faux pamphlets and ask passersby on Bourbon Street if they’d found Jesus, but he wouldn’t.  Party pooper.

Merry Christmas, everyone —

25 Responses to It’s a Nawlins Christmas

1. Heidi Dorey says:

The old couple..that was Mr. and Mrs. Claus probably.
    Great update. Hopefully you’ll have more for us.
    I do want to know what a ghost tour is like…if you choose to go.
    Merry Christmas to both of you!

Ah, how nice to get away!! People watching is the best! Laughing at other people makes you feel better about yourself (now would you wear a pink sequined vest?).

Merry Christmas! ENJOY!

I LOVE me some good people watching! Too fun!

4. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Erin Margolin, PamelaFaganHutchins. PamelaFaganHutchins said: It’s a Nawlins Christmas http://f.ast.ly/up2BW […]

5. Sounds heavenly Pamela and Eric! Enjoy! And Merry Merry Christmas!

Terri

6. ridgely says:

I have been told I look smashing in sequins- must be a blonde thing 😉 what a great pic of you two lovebirds 😉 keep sharing;)

7. Khara says:

Haha, sounds like a good time. Merry Christmas!

8. Grace says:

You can’t do better than Nawlins for great food and people watching. I hope it was a great Christmas!

9. Christina says:

Merry Christmas Pamela! Can’t wait to lunch & gossip & plan.

10. Jenny says:

I love N.O. Sounds like a blissful Christmas. BTW: Eric is not a party pooper. He’s a smart man. Knocking on doors with pamplets can get you shot.

11. the MRS. says:

Sounds like an interesting night. I can’t imagine having that much alcohol in me and not even smiling a little bit…

What a great trip that was. Tooooo short as they always are but NOLA is an amazing place. We got to see some amazing musicians, cool historical stuff (including the place we stayed), crazy people watching and the food was unbelievable. And AHHHHHH the company… THE BEST.

PS also very cool to meet Erin and her twins, what a calm cool collected mom easily handling two, sweet and busy kids at lunch with boring old people like us. Well old like me anyway.

13. You guys are a riot. Good to hear that you had a fantastic Christmas full of tons of fun. If this is Christmas…..I can only imagine how crazy your New Years is going to be. All the best to you, Eric, and your entire family. I love you guys.

To Pamela
    Blah blah blah, you would not let me use YOUR computer the entire trip so I had no way to get on.

Darryl,
    Thanks and yeah it has been great, and am really looking forward to new years tooo. Wish it could all be like this but this !*@%*!&%!@*6 job keeps getting in the way.